The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) is looking for Senior Interpreter/Coordinator within European Union Border Assistance Mission to Moldova and Ukraine (EUBAM), according to the Terms of Reference below, to start on 1 May 2023.
Duty Station: EUBAM HQ, Odesa, Ukraine
Classification: Service Contract (SC)
Service Fee: 1450 EUR
Expected duration of assignment: Seven month, 1 May 2023 – 30 November 2023
Organizational Unit: Language and Interpretation Unit
Direct supervisor: Chief of Administration
General Functions: Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Chief of Administration, the incumbent assists in the smooth operation of the European Union Border Assistance Mission (EUBAM) in Ukraine. The Senior Interpreter/Coordinator works in close collaboration with the National Finance Officer, Administrative/Human Resources Officer and National Procurement and Logistics Officer of the EUBAM Administration for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with IOM programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
- Assure smooth operational running of the project by means of following IOM and EC established operational rules and procedures;
- Participate in preparation, implementation and follow up of project activities;
- Manage and coordinate the work of the Language and Interpretation Unit;
- Distribute and monitor tasks among Administrative Assistants/Interpreters within the Unit;
- Ensure that translation standards are in place and met by the respective staff;
- Acquire information and consult specialists and reference works, technical dictionaries, and other appropriate sources as necessary to ensure that terminology and nuances are rendered correctly;
- Verify accuracy of citations, spot manifested or possible errors in the original text and inform Units/Offices concerned;
- Maintain and update the list of translated legislation documents and ensure appropriate filing;
- Coordinate and maintain network with the Administrative Assistants in the Field Offices, EUBAM Headquarters and EUBAM Office in Moldova;
- Fully substitute for the Assistant to the Head of Mission, during his/her absence in order to upkeep smooth and undisrupted run of the Head of Mission’s Office;
- Facilitate the process of procurement and delivery of goods and services;
- Facilitate project audit, monitoring, evaluation, field visits, missions of the experts;
- Maintain updated networks of project partners, contractors, consultants, and suppliers;
- Prepare project-related correspondence;
- Facilitate project related learning activities;
- Participate in data collection, analysis, and maintenance of project-related files;
- Assure that the progress reporting is done in a timely and quality manner based on internal documents approved by EUBAM management;
- Facilitate project outreach/communication efforts;
- Provide oral and written translations from English into Ukrainian (Russian, where applicable) and vice versa as required by the project;
- Proofread and/or edit the project’s correspondence and other official documents;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Advanced University Degree in philology, modern languages or other related fields;
- Six years of experience in interpretation/translation and administrative work is required;
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, consulting company, or NGO is a very strong advantage;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.), Computer Assisted Translation Software and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling web-based management systems;
- Fluency in both oral and written English and Ukrainian (Russian, where applicable) languages is a must.
Appointment is subject to budget availability and funding confirmation.
Email your IOM Personal History form (eubam.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Personal-History-Form.xls) and cover letter in English to the following email address відправити резюме
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message.
Please note that sporadic duty trips within Mission's area of responsibility are required (Chisinau and other locations in Republic of Moldova).
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Closing date for applications 17 April 2023; however, interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner.
Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.